The Museum of Ixelles was founded in 1892 as a result of a significant donation of artwork made by the painter and collector Edmond De Pratere (1826-1888). In return, the Commune of Ixelles committed itself to exhibiting the work in a place accessible to the public. A disused slaughterhouse was chosen and converted to suit its new function. To the present day, it still houses the museums' permanent collection.
The Museum of Ixelles follows two principal missions, conforming with the museum code of ethics on an international level as stated by ICOM. To conserve the museums' inheritance and aiming to protect and support the development of its collections.By means of permanent and temporary exhibitions, publications and teaching activities, the museum is committed to continue to provide a service to the public offering education and access to its collections.
Metalab02 History Navigator (requires the Adobe Flash Player 8+).